Best Equipment for Ab Workouts
Having a good ab workout really depends on the right equipment, whether you’re working your abs at home or at the gym.
Equipment is an important consideration for your abs because you need to be continuously adding resistance in order to challenge your abdominal and core muscles. You also need a lot of variety to see real success.
In this article, I’m going to review my top picks for ab workout equipment, and offer some direct links for purchasing many of these items for your home gym. Personally, I think ab workouts are perfect for those days when you can’t make it to the gym, since you can have an effective and complete ab workout in such a short period of time.
And having a few of these items on hand will make it that much more effective. So here it is, my list of best equipment for ab workouts…
Best Equipment for Ab Workouts
1. Medicine Balls – Medicine balls are a very versatile piece of gym equipment, and are perfect for adding resistance to you abdominal exercises. They’re easy to handle and can be used in a variety of ways.
Add some resistance to your crunches by holding the ball at your chest, or extend the ball overhead for added tension in your core muscles. This Altus 2 In 1 Power Medicine Ball And Kettlebell set is a great at-home option, and the addition of kettlebell handles can make for a much more effective oblique side crunch!
2. Stability Ball – Stability or exercise balls are absolutely essential to any effective ab workout. First, by challenging your balance, you’ll engage more of your core muscles in every movement, including your lower back muscles.
You can use this simple piece of equipment for more dynamic crunches (by resting your lower back on the ball and stabilizing your core), or engage them even more with exercises like ab rollouts (by holding your feet on the ball, hands on the floor, and using your core muscles to bend your knees). This Altus Body Ball Fitness Combo is great for beginners, and includes a small medicine ball for adding additional resistance.
3. Bosu Ball – This one makes things a bit easier in terms of balance, but still offers you the option of more dynamic crunches and sit-ups. You’ll really be able to maximize your range of motion with this piece of equipment. Check out the Bosu Ball here for more information.
4. Ab Wheel – This one has been around for a while, but it still offers an intense ab workout at a very low cost. Nothing targets and challenges your abdominal and core muscles like this one. If you’re looking for a starter piece, this Ab Wheel might be the perfect choice.
5. Chin Up Bar – Although this isn’t designed specifically for ab exercises, this piece of home gym equipment allows you to really maximize your ab workouts at home. Versatile and functional, a home chin up bar will let you do a number of additional ab exercises, including different leg raises and side leg raises where you are hanging from the bar and really engaging your core. Check out this Deluxe Chin Up Bar.
Best Equipment for Ab Workouts – Conclusion
These 5 simple pieces of equipment will literally revolutionize your ab workouts at home. All in all, they’re pretty affordable, and they offer you hundreds of potential exercises that wouldn’t have been possible before. If you’re trying to get ripped, sexy abs, you need to consider some of these options today!
Have any questions or feedback about Best Equipment for Ab Workouts? Please leave a comment below…